Re: Spitfire oil pressure?

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: Spitfire oil pressure?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 16:56:37 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On 2 Jan 1997 Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> In the interest of discovering something about the nature of my
> crankshaft bearings, Iım about to test the oil pressure on my ı74 Spit
> 1500.   What should the pressure be at say, 2500 or 3000 RPM?
> Or is that even the right speed at which to check the pressure?

That's probably as good a speed as any. Probably anything in the 40-60
lbs/in ballpark would be a fairly good sign, but...

> And, if the pressure turns out to be optimal, or close to optimal,
> does this necessarily indicate that allıs well with my bearings?

...not necessarily. You also need to observe how quickly the oil
pressure begins to register (or idiot light goes out) upon startup. If
it takes much more than 1-2 seconds and/or you hear traces of the
dreaded "death rattle" there are other problems. Also worth noting is
oil pressure at warm-hot idle. This really ought to be at least 20lbs/in
or better (the idiot light is supposed to kick in ~7lbs/in).

Keep in mind that, to some degree, you can raise oil pressure slightly
just by going to a higher weight oil, i.e. 10W40 instead of 10W30. Of
course, that's not necessarily a cure-all for worn bearings!

--Andy