Cutting and Pasting (how to respond to a portion of a message)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cutting and Pasting (how to respond to a portion of a message)
From: kedwards@norfolk.infi.net (Keith A. Edwards)
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 21:03:59 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Michael Noerregaard <ngaard@ibm.net>, kengano@advant.com
kengano@advant.com (Gano, Ken) wrote:

>I've notice some responses simply copy the whole prior message and some
>allow cuts (snips) and other nifty features.  What is the general
>consciences on the best e-mail software for use with this type of list?  I
>want something that work in Windows 95, allows for preview of messages, and
>all of the other bells and whistles.  I'm presently using Microsoft
>Internet mail (not Exchange), but haven't figured out how to respond to
>just a portion of a message.

Joining this thread a little late, but what can I say!

Since I get the digest version, I am used to having to cut and paste a
portion of a message.  I do this for the subject line and addressee, as
well.  Doesn't take that much effort.

I guess it is a pet peeve of mine to see entire messages quoted in the reply
or worse yet, the "Reply Separator".  This makes for difficult reading,
especially for us in digest mode, since we can't easily notice where the

I must agree strongly with Michael Noerregaard's response to this, regarding
the fact that Cutting and Pasting is not so difficult.

Without joining in the Macintosh vs. PC debate, I will second the
recommendation of Eudora.  I often see listed in incoming mail the details
of the mailer used, and I have always noticed a large number of Eudora
users.  I have version 1.4.4 and 1.5.2. Free.  No spell checker (isn't it
obvious?) in the free version, but it nicely does replies with the > symbols
differentiating what you are replying to.

Perhaps some of those who inquote the _entire_ message attached to a
response are mistakenly Forwarding or Re-directing instead of Replying...

I have a little experience with Mozilla (E-mailer in Netscape 2.0 and up)
and it also seems to work well.  It has very similar features as Eudora.  It
has that appealing Netscape sort of look and feel. You can even easily
transfer your Eudora In and Out boxes to Mozilla.  I find it a _little_
harder to read through my mail with Mozilla, but maybe that's just me.

Sorry, but I can't say that I know anything about M*cr*s*ft Internet Mail.

Like mjb has recommended many times, it is best to only quote the
appropriate portions of E-mail when responding to E-mail.

Thanks for reading through all this.

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net