Re: Spitfire valences<970108224429_644619832@emout12.mail.aol.com>

To: DTait44495@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire valences<970108224429_644619832@emout12.mail.aol.com>
From: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 09:23:39 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Morning all,

>I could use some help here..Got my 1978 Spitfire in pieces spread around the
>garage floor and the bonnet on the ping pong table in the basement undergoing
>sheet metal replacement of the outer wheel wells and fenders,or what ever
>they are called. The problem is that i discovered upon removing the bonnet
>that both r/h & l/h quarter valences are riddled with rust holes. The local
>bump shop wants $150.00 to repair them..I can buy new metal from Moss etc for
>about $170.00-180.00, and now the kicker I see that Rimmer Bros. has the
>quarter valences in fiber glass panels for about half the cost..Has anybody
>out there used the fiber glass panels? how do they hold up? I live in the
>rust belt and am inclinded to think that It might be a good deal...Please
>give me some input ..

I have 2 fibre glass 1/4 valences on my '73 Spit, about the only bit that ain't
rotten!!! :-)  The car originally had one when I acquired it, but I replaced
the original l/h steel one with a fg version after it fell apart when I cracked
my head on it(long story, don't ask)...:-)

I would say that unless you have a show car then use them, unless you pop the
bonnet you can't really tell.  The only downside I found was that the inner
piece came away from the skin somehow, although I dare say a bit of fibreglass
resin would have fixed it fine(I used self tapers - Rich, the PDO present
dreaded owner).  Here in the UK these things also cost nearly half the price of
steel, approx 25 quid against 45-50 quid for steel.  Is the $170-180 for a pair
or each???

Rich