Re: Tr6 rod bolts.

To: tigerpb@ids.net
Subject: Re: Tr6 rod bolts.
From: Tony Robinson <TonyR@dzn.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 23:11:54 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
tigerpb@ids.net wrote:

> Grettings. Just got back from checking the main bearings on the parts
> car engine. All 4 checked out at .002". real nice. I did notice that the
> main bearing bolts didn't have any lock washers. TRF lists lock washers,
> but the factory manual doesn't show any. Which is proper for a '73
> engine? I'm going to buy all new rod and main bolts anyway, so I'd like
> to do it right the first time.

STOP STOP  STOP

Don't order bolts from MOSS< TRF VB or SICP

 Trot right down to your local parts store and get grade 8 sae fine
thread bolts.
 If your parts store doesn't have them, try an industrial fastener shop
 There are no lock waskers or "tab bands" on rod or main bearings.
 I would think it is a good idea, but the way the rod caps are designed,
the tab bands would not fit into the groove of the cap since it is not
machined to accept them.
 As for lock washers,, the split ring type would not be a wise choice
since they ocassionally expand under torque.
 If you want to use lock washer, I think the "star" washers with the
points on the outside might work.
 I would suggest not using washers though. If they were supposed to be
there, they would be.
 Just my thoughts FWIW.
Regards,
TonyR