Re: Synthetic Oil in J-type OD

Subject: Re: Synthetic Oil in J-type OD
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 23:46:19 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, David Greed wrote:

> > Does anyone have experience using Mobil 1 (or other brand) synthetic
> > 20W50 in a J - type OD transmission?  I'm getting ready to fill mine
> > after a complete rebuild and I'd like to use synthetic lube if possible.

I have used synthetic GL4 gear oil (Mobil) in my A-type OD for many years
now, and my experiences are purely positive. It shifts easily in the
coldest of temperatures. The advice from the Mobil tech. people I spoke to
was to use GL4 for an OD box, not GL5.

Various car manufacturers specify ATF and engine oil for Laycock OD boxes,
so I can only assume these will work fine. As long as you steer away from
anything with high pressure additives.

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway