Re:Spitfar front suspension

To: FraxStar@aol.com
Subject: Re:Spitfar front suspension
From: DFain67gt6@aol.com
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 08:30:56 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 15:58:02 -0500 (EST)
 From: FraxStar@aol.com
 Subject: Spitfire front suspension

 1. In past postings someone suggested a proceedure for installing A-arm
 bushings using a C-clamp. Could the author please repost or send the
 proceedure to me?>>
Just butter them with liquid soap and use the clamp to squish them
into the holes.  You can push the old ones out using a socket of
the correct size.  If the new ones don't want to start into the holes,
chamfer
the edges slightly with a piece of sandpaper and try again.

< <2. Can someone suggest an appropriate coil spring compression tool and a
 place to obtain one? I was able to get the old units disassembled, but the
 same proceedure will not work for assembly.>>
Try your local tool rental place.  They will have what you want.  Coil
springs can be very dangerous if you aren't using the proper tools.
Unless you plan on doing this often, you are probably better off
renting the tools and saving the money for Spitfire parts.

< <3. During removal of the tie rod ends the rubber dust seals were damaged.
 Does anyone know of a source for these seals? >>
 Any of the mail order places should have these in stock.  I swear by
Victoria British.  Other folks swear at them but let's not start that debate
again.
Dave