Insurance

Subject: Insurance
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@mailhost.scala.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 97 23:59:26 EST
        How can you tell I'm behind in my reading? :-)

From: scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
>> hello, out there! i've just found out i'm paying about $225
>> annually for full coverage on my 76 TR6 thur USAA. although they've
>> always been great in the past, they are not giving me any break for the
>> limited driving that i do between repairs.

>I have Erie Insurance, which has always been reasonable in their premiums,
>good with claims and you can usually discuss special cases with the local
>carrier. BTW, the coverage on my '70 TR6 while I am restoring it is
>under their Pleasure Car class (low milage around 1,000 per year, but
>were candid that no one checks ;-)). They look at it as a '70 car and
>therefore cary no collision, just the basic liability, etc. and I
>am also paying $200 per year. Whenever I am ready (restoration far enough

        $200?  You must be away from the suburban areas.  In the far Philly
suburbs I'm paying ~$600/yr (liability, comprehensive, etc) for my '70 TR6,
though that's with collision (which was cheap; less than $100/year with a
$500 deductible).  I was with Erie until last week; it was $750/yr there;
now I'm with State Farm.  BTW, "Pleasure" for Erie is <2500/yr I think, but
as you say they don't check - but if you made a claim (or a bunch) and
it looked like you were using it as a daily driver they might check.  Best
not to take chances.

>along to warrent collision) they will look at the car along with a
>certified appraisal of the car's value and give me a quote to cover
>collision.

        I.e. stated-value insurance.  For a fully-restored or special car it
makes sense; for a more normal one you're probably ok without it - you're
insured for ACV - Actual Cash Value; i.e. how much the car is worth at the
time of an accident.  Though of course some companies may be more hard-nosed
about "value".  Note also this may be far less than you put into it - it's
what you could sell the car for.

> My dealer was also more than willing to give me names of
>insurers that specialize in classic car coverage. May want to talk to
>your company and shop a bit. Hemmings aslo lists specialty companies which
>deal in classic and antique auto insurance.

        Note that many of those stipulate it's not to be used for non-
pleasure/club use; if you get hit while carrying a load of groceries or
commuting to work, you may have some explaining to do.

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com