TR 4A springs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 4A springs
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:58:02 -0600
Cc: jamjones@online.no
Hi James,  another been there done that story for you.

I'm confused by your posting...  do the wheels tip IN at the TOP
(camber) or is the front edge of the tire further into the center of
the  car (toe in).  Ten degrees of toe could only be cause by incorrect
re-assembly of the trailing arms.  Did you take them off?  If so,  you
may have refitted the brackets in different positions.  In fact,  this
could aldo cause a camber problem if a bracket was installed upside
down.

TR 6's had at least three different brackets and it is comon to refir
them in the wrong order.  I don't know why TR did it but you must remove
the bracket from the frame to get the arm off bercause of the way TR
installed the bushing bolts.  (MAybe they wanted to make some work for
the boys in the shop?!?).  You can refit the arm locating bolts with the
nuts outermost and the arms come off without removing the brackets.

Second,  is there any chance you put the front springs on the back?  One
of our club members did this - he bought a set of "rear lowered springs"
that turned out to be fronts... the spring rate is very close (390 vs
420) anf they are only about an inch shorter and will fit very loosely
when the rear end is jacked up fully.  If you had a camber problem
before, this would worsen the condition.  However, getting a shop to set
the toe in is a good idea anyway.  Most cars are poorl set up and corner
differeny left and right because of this.  (yes,  I have driven my TR's
in anger on the track more than once).

Hope this  helps.

Dave Terrick