Re: Spitfire master cylinder rebuild

To: Jason Sankar <jsankar@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire master cylinder rebuild
From: Isaac Crow <Isaac@avana.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 16:28:42 -0500

 Jason,

I just rebuilt my clutch and master cylinders recently with good
results. When you disassemble, be sure to note how all the pieces fit
together.  Thoroughly inspect and hone (I did mine with 400 grit and
then 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper) the inside of the cylinder.  If it is
pitted, most likely you will need to replace it or have it re-sleeved.
Anyway, get it very smooth and clean, then use brake cleaner to
thoroughly wash out all of the particles from sanding. Let it dry well.
Be sure to lubricate all surfaces of all the seals before placing them
on the shafts and before placing the piston assembly back into the
bore.  I lubed the seals well and had enough lubricant left to squirt
some into the bore and tipping valve areas and spread it around. When it
is all back together, Push the pushrod in a few times and release to
check the action.  Don't do this excessively because the seals are still
mostly dry..next, pop that thing on the car and fill up with DOT 4.
Bleed the brakes (will take a while to get all the air out, trust me)
and check em out thoroughly before you drive anywhere.
    Well, that is about all the advice I can give you....It really is an
easy job...Good luck.

Isaac Crow
'71 Spitfire MK IV

------------69FC5BCC1A0B0

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>&nbsp;Jason,</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>I just rebuilt my clutch and master cylinders recently with good results.
When you disassemble, be sure to note how all the pieces fit together.&nbsp;
Thoroughly inspect and hone (I did mine with 400 grit and then 800 grit
wet/dry sandpaper) the inside of the cylinder.&nbsp; If it is pitted, most
likely you will need to replace it or have it re-sleeved. Anyway, get it
very smooth and clean, then use brake cleaner to thoroughly wash out all
of the particles from sanding. Let it dry well.&nbsp; Be sure to lubricate
all surfaces of all the seals before placing them on the shafts and before
placing the piston assembly back into the bore.&nbsp; I lubed the seals
well and had enough lubricant left to squirt some into the bore and tipping
valve areas and spread it around. When it is all back together, Push the
pushrod in a few times and release to check the action.&nbsp; Don't do
this excessively because the seals are still mostly dry..next, pop that
thing on the car and fill up with DOT&nbsp;4.&nbsp; Bleed the brakes (will
take a while to get all the air out, trust me) and check em out thoroughly
before you drive anywhere.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Well, that is about all the advice I can give you....It
really is an easy job...Good luck.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Isaac Crow&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>'71 Spitfire MK IV</DT>