Tube shock kits revisited

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Tube shock kits revisited
From: dynamic@pbgi.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 20:56:51 -0800 (PST)
Irv, listers:

I am not surprised that racers do not use tube shock kits on their cars.
Not being familiar with the regulations governing this on race cars within
certain classes, I would ask if those regs allow converting to a different
shock set up?  In any case, it is fairly obvious that in general,
telescopic dampers are the superior product.  This issue seems to be more
one of whether or not you can properly ADAPT the rear of a TR6 to tubes, so
that it would be superior to the lever shock set up, and in the case of
racing, it would also need to be cost effective.  I BELEIVE that there is a
way to do this, (except, maybe for the cost effective part)  However, I may
very well find out that it is a dead end.  If that will be the case, so be
it, but in any event I will have fun fiddling, drawing, designing,
researching, and maybe one day actually building it!

I agree with the contention that properly set up levers are better than the
available tube shock kits.  But, I must say that a properly designed tube
shock kit WOULD be superior to a properly set up lever arrangement!  We
just have to come up with the properly designed tube shock kit!

So, to anyone else out there who thinks about telescopic dampers for their
TR6, I would say that the perfect tube shock kit would be no more difficult
to install than the levers, could be easily changed back to levers for
concours events, etc, and would keep the low unspring weight
characteristics of the lever shocks.  Such a kit does not exist, so stick
to the levers!

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6