Replacing thrust washers w/ engine in car

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacing thrust washers w/ engine in car
From: Bill Kelly <kelly@dss.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 12:55:54 -0500
At least with the Herald/Spit-style engine. My advice? Don't replace the
thrust washers with the engine in the car. Bearings? No problem. Thrust
washers? NO WAY! Recall that the thrust washers are SUPPOSED to keep
crankshaft endplay to a minimum. When you're trying to put the second
one in, you're working against a total clearance on the order of .001"
(I don't have my shop manual here for the exact number, but take my
word. It's Tight). I ended up putting one of the old ones back in.

Anybody determined to go ahead may email me direct for tips and war
stories.