Re: John Lye's choice of tires

To: "Shane F. Ingate" <ingate@shiseis.com>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: John Lye's choice of tires
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 97 13:09:30 EST
Cc: rjl6n@virginia.edu
On Jan 17, 12:46pm, "Shane F. Ingate" wrote:
> > I'm currently running Goodyear 23.5 X 9.0 X 15 race slicks...
>
> Hi John,
>
> I'll make the assumption that your experiences with wheel
> and tire combination on a TR4 can be extended to a TR6.

Probably similar, but not identical.

> Converting "23.5x9.0x15" to contemporary tire dimensions,
> I make that to be the equivalent of 225/50x15.  Is that correct?

I dunno for sure; I've never actually compared them.  I'll
assume that the spreadsheet is right.  There's certainly not
much sidewall there...

> We see that 225/50 would lower the car height by approx 1.4"

That sounds about right.

> and change the speedo accuracy substantially.

Not exactly a concern of mine, since this car is not street legal.

> Finally, and we arrive at my question, what are your experiences with
> the (presumably) 225/50's?

Other than the fact that they stick like glue?   BTW, most
current bias ply race slicks use the inch measuring system
(ie, 23.5 X 9.0 X 15) and not the metric system (ie 225/50 X 15).

> Do they rub, poke out, etc?

No rubbing on my car, but I'm running 3/4" spacers on the front
to increase the track width.  They do protrude from the fender wells
even though the fenders have been flared.

> What wheels are you using and what are their offset/backspace?

I'm using 15 X 7" Panasports; I'm afraid that I don't remember
the backspacing off hand, but since they are currently sitting
in garage with no tires I could easily measure it for you if
you'd like.  They are similar in backspacing to the old, factory
Silverstone wheels, with all the new width added to the outside.

hope that helps,

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm