Starter Has A Life of Its Own

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Starter Has A Life of Its Own
From: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 17:08:02 -0700
This afternoon I had just finished changing the oil on my 74 Spitfire and
was sitting there admiring my work, when all of a sudden the starter began
turning over on its own. Fortunately, I had the neg. battery cable loose and
I pulled it immediately.

The problem is that when all wires are connected the starter turns over
regardless of rather on not the key is on or off.  I have performed the
following checks:

Checked the starter switch (W/O) wire which runs to the starter relay for
continuity and power.  Continuity is good and wire only has power when the
starter switch is in the start position.

Check the starter solenoid it pops/clicks when voltage is applied to it.

Checked continuity of WR wire running from the starter relay to the
solenoid.  Its good.

Noted there is a constant voltage being supplied to this WR wire across the
relay regardless of rather or not the WO wire from the starter switch is
connected to the relay.  This voltage is coming to the relay via a large
brown wire from the alternator (I think).  Since the WR wire has constant
voltage being supplied to it across the relay it is constantly activating
the starter solenoid.

Has this happened to anyone before?  It appears to me that since the starter
switch, and solenoid appear to operating correctly the the problem must be
the relay. However, I'm not certain if the brown wire coming from the
alternator should be providing constant power to the relay or not. Or if
something in the relay is burned out which allows this power to be relayed
to the WR wire constantly.  I think I'm correct in guessing that this WR
wire to the solenoid should not have power to it all the time.

Any help will be appreciated.

Barry H. Adams
74 Spitfire