Re: TR6 Headers

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Headers
From: nolan penney <npenney@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 21:08:58 -0500
>For street and street-prepared autocross use, which headder is better:  6-1
>or 3-2?  Which headder is better for low-to-mid rpm?
>I thank the experts in advance.  Good debate!

I'm no expert (thought I'd get that over with up front).

I don't think you can make a blanket statement about either being
"better."
As a common rule of thumb, a tri-y design gives a little less peak
performance, but a wider powerband.  And, generally, is tuned to a lower
rpm range.  But that's the end of it as far as generallities go I
think.  For a tri-y that ended at the firewall would be a higher rpm
header then a 6-1 that ended out behind the gearbox.

Appearances can tell you a whole lot about how it's built and how it
will flow.  Tuning lengths are great, but if their mangled on assembly,
it's no good.  To my  thinking, the more a header reminds you of a
trumpet (smooth flowing lines, sweet looking diameter changes) the
better it is.  The more it looks like something a plumber would install
under the sink, the worse it is, and the worse it will flow.

As for autocross, I've been seeing more and more tri-y headers out
there.  But don't take that as some sort of absolute endorsement of
tri-y headers for you.