Re: Camber Comphensator (final?)

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Camber Comphensator (final?)
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 08:15:41 -0800
Cc: nolan penney <npenney@concentric.net>
< snip >
> Yes, a low roll center, coupled with a low center of gravity are
> basically good things.  But you can't take it that lower is always
>better, and that the lower you go the better is works.
< snip >
Come on now, don't get huffy. . .Obviously you didn't read my correction -
and by the way, shouldn't that read a high roll center, coupled with a low
center of gravity - granted low roll center probably has fewer
disadvantages, but it creates more body roll, a feeling average drivers find
most distracting.  A higher roll center, will tend to keep the car from
rolling with the possibility of more wheel deflection and tire wear.  And
I'm talking generalizations here not specific racing applications.  Im sure
there are other lists specifically for people interested in all out racing,
but most people here I presume ( could be wrong, have been in the past )
just drive their car on every day roads, under every day conditions - every
driver has his or her preferences as to understeer/oversteer most people
prefer understeer as it "feels" more safe.  Every body has thier own ideas
as to how to set their cars suspension.  Some are better than others but
only for specific reasons - every one has inherent advantages/disadvantages
- and that's why there are so many different designs - if it were so cut and
dried all suspensions would be the same and everybody would be happy ;-)
I certianly hope this puts the controversy to rest, it has for me. as I feel
most people on the list are really tired of this already!  For that reason I
said I won't get into a big debate about it - Nuff said!

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (major surgery almost done) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+