Re: starters for early TRs - a caution. And my TR4 "heater".

To: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: starters for early TRs - a caution. And my TR4 "heater".
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 10:01:14 -0500 (EST)
Cc: brians@deq.state.la.us
According to my information there are two different starter motors found on
the TR 2-3 series.  The earliest, the 'bullnose' or shrouded type was found
on the TR2 , 3, 3A through TS50000.  The later, 'long' nose starter appeared
starting at TS50001 through the remainder of the 4 cylinder production.

Each type of starter also requires a different ring gear on the flywheel.
 You are correct that the number of teeth is different, don't remember
exactly how.  The earlier flywheel which goes with the 'bullnose' starter has
the ring gear pressed on the flywheel and appeared on TRs up to TS50000..
 The later flywheel goes with the 'long' nose starter has the ring gear
bolted to the flywheel and appeared on the TR series through the TR4
production and requires a different transmission housing to accept the
extended 'nose' of the starter..

There is a third type of flywheel/ring gear setup which was on the TR4A
series.  It has the later, bolt on ring gear, takes the later starter, but
the flywheel requires the 8 1/2 TR4A style clutch.

Unless you have had the car from new any of these three different flywheels
might appear on your car as they, along with the correct starter for the
flywheel, bolt right on with no modifications required.

If there are bolts holding the ring gear on, that ring gear will work with
the later starter, which requires the later transmission with a bulge as
well..  If the ring gear is pressed on, you must use the earlier starter and
could use either the later or earlier transmission.

It is true that from casual inspection appears that either starter will match
either ring gear, but it does not.  Yes you can assemble it. yes it might
start you car.  But you will know by the strange sounds that something is
dreadfully wrong.

The one thing whch prevents the installation of a later starter into an
earlier car is the fact that the later starter requires the later
 transmission as well which has a bulge in the case to accept the long nose
starter.  I have actually seen early transmissions with a hole knocked in the
housing and the long nose of the later starter sticking out the hole !
One guy had taped a soup can over the protruding starter.

I don't know of any source for the early starters.  I have seen them in
Hemmings advertised 'rebuilt' for up to $350 !  I would change over the whole
affair to the later set up if I were you.  Again I am not aware of any source
new but since they fit so many cars they are more plentiful, rebuild kits are
available too.   This changeover requires you install the later flywheel,
starter and transmission. Change the cluthch to a new one while your at it if
you go to all this work.   If you  show your car a really pokey judge may
detect that you have an extra bulge in your transmission inappropriate to
your VIN, but that is the only downside I am aware of.

I made the switch in my 59 and installed a TR4  transmission with overdrive
at the same time.  Works a treat!

Bob Paul
Corrales NM
TS45738L 'O' with a TR4 tranny.
TS7280L the tranny on the floor in the corner, the frame on the sawhourses
and the tub outside.