ring condition test

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: ring condition test
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:22:51 -0800
Carl Huppert writes:

> Hello Group - I pulled the head on the TR6 yesterday, and someone
> offerred the following test to determine whether I needed new rings.
> Pour some water/antifreeze into the cylinders and let it sit overnight.
> If any of it leaks out, your rings should be replaced.  If not, they are
> ok.  It this a dependable method?

Boy, does someone not like you :-)?  I certianly would NOT pour water of any
kind inside my cylinders, what a mess!  Besides the obvoious rust, which by
the way will freeze up your pistion/rings to your cylinders in a rather
short time, it's an unreliable test.  Rings that don't leak, and by the way
they will since the gaps in the rings will allow some water to escape, but
even if that weren't the case, they may not leak at atmospheric pressure,
but increase the pressure and they might.  besides most of the wear will be
at the top of the cylinder.  In any case the only reliable way that I know
of (other than measuring) is to use a leak-down test in conjunction with a
compression test to detirmine if it's valves or rings.  Also if you can feel
a sizable lip or ridge (one that you can feel with your finger nail) at the
top edge of the cylinder, where the top ring would stop, then it's probably
time for oversize pistons. . .

Sorry, but no short cuts here. . .

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (major surgery almost done) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+