Mystery Steering Wheel

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Mystery Steering Wheel
From: "clancy" <clancy@enterprise.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 18:18:09 -0000
Greetings, Fellow Scions,

I've been list-lurking on and off for about a year now.....loads of good
stuff here!

Now is the time to post, because someone out there might just be able to
help.

I am trying to positively identify a steering wheel that came with my GT6
Mk2, though was not fitted to the car.  If I can id the wheel, I will,
hopefully, be able to get a boss and horn-push for it, and swap it for the
"leather shirt button" which is currently fitted!!!!

Here is an extract from my webpages, where a gif of the wheel may be found:

It came with "HDA" when the car was purchased. Is very similar, if not
identical, to the wheel in the TSSC HQ Museum at Lubenham, UK. The member
of staff there at the time could not accurately ID it for me. I have just
the wheel, and would like to source the machined aluminium (was it?) boss,
and the correct Triumph horn push. I have seen a very similar wheel in John
Thomason's Guide to Originality book, in a Mk 1 GT6. I was also told that
it may be out of a Bond. My theory is that it could also be a "Type A"
optional extra, which I believe was available from Triumph in the 60's. I
also read that the MK 1 GT6's used the Spit / Herald horn pushes of the
day.

The wheel is a 15" diameter, leather bound, three-spoker, with five holes
drilled in each of the polished spokes. The dish on the wheel is
approximately 2.5" deep.

If you know what type this wheel might be, or can shed any light on which
boss / horn push to use, please email the details. Thankyou very much.

Hopefully someone will recognise this.

Thanks in advance.

jc.

Jon Clancy