Re: TR6 Engine Rod Bolts

To: Gary Klein <gklein@erols.com>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Engine Rod Bolts
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 97 07:02:34 EST
On Jan 30,  6:01pm, Gary Klein wrote:
> I discussed this difference with the machinist currently working my
> block and he could only think that the narrower portion of the factory
> bolts would cause them to "stretch" upon torquing while the replacements
> may not do so as easily.

Yup, that's almost certainly what the reduced shank portion is
for.  ARP, among others, make racing rod bolts with this design.

> He determined that they should be OK.

Be very careful, if the shank is not reduced, they may not stretch
enough and may not hold torque properly.  If so, they'll loosen
up with disasterous consequences.

> I'm curious as to what everyone thinks.  Why did our British Cousins do
> this?  It's a big cost difference, 55 cents each vice $5.25 each!

My opinion - spend the money and do it right; the consequences of
a rod bolt failure will cost you a lot more than the $60 or so
that you'll save!

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm