Re: Remove/Refit Crankshaft Nut on 74 Spitfire

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Remove/Refit Crankshaft Nut on 74 Spitfire
From: mah16@cornell.edu (Marie A Harkins)
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:40:26 -0500
>I need to replace the timing gear oil seal and gasket on my 74 spitfire
>(something at the front of the engine is seeping/slinging oil).  What tool
>should I use to remove/refit the crankshaft pully retaining nut?
>
>This nut appears to be approximately 2-3" in diameter.  I can probably use a
>pipe wrench to remove it, but what do I use to refit and torque it??
>
>Also, does anyone know if a new timing gear cover (such as the one shown on
>pg 73 of the VB catalog) comes with the tensioner mounting bracket installed?
>
>Barry H. Adams
>74 Spitfire

I rented the correct size socket wrench (don't recall what that is) and
breaker bar from a local place for less than $10. Much cheaper than buying.
DON'T use a pipe wrench on this nut. To figure out what size wrench just
measure across the face of the nut between two parallel flats.

Good luck,

Bill

mah16@cornell.edu