Dried grease/ttrunions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dried grease/ttrunions
From: Tony Robinson <TonyR@dzn.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 23:14:19 -0800
Fellow SOLers,
 In regards to this grease hardening subject, I think that most of us
are still in the dark ages.
 In my opinion taking authenticity to the point of using the crappy old
grease that was available back when most of these Triumphs were built is
a bit too much.
 Let us consider the advances made in lubricants themselves.
 We have a waterproof petroleum based lithium grease. My choice for
trunions and general suspension.
 We have "high speed" grease for high heat and disc brake applications.
 We have graphite laden grease for every purpose in varius weights.
 We have synthetics for every application.
 An assortment of "moly" greases with and without graphite, synthetics
and other additives.
 There are a myriad of other specialty greases on the market, not even
including those for special industrial applications that some of us have
access to.
 I suppose I am wondering why anyone would use a CHEAP high sulphur
oil which is designed to work on high friction moving parts at high
temperatures in such a delicate area as the trunions.
 We all know the rubber trunion seals are a weak link which can allow
dirt to easily enter the assembly.
 My vote is for a waterproof lithium grease that will at least provide
some element of protection to dirt when the seal goes  and, still be
"fluid" enough to provide proper lubrication.
 Just my opinion.
 Thanks for the indulgence.
TonyR