Re: R6: Steering Column Bushings, Steering Rack U-Bolts

To: DON.GUTHRIE@HO.tradenz.govt.nz
Subject: Re: R6: Steering Column Bushings, Steering Rack U-Bolts
From: Steve Benelisha <steveb@verity.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 22:42:02 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
While tracing down a groan on my front end, over the weekend, I became aware
that I have the same problem. My Bentley manual is still two weeks away from
being delivered so all I have to go on were my observations:

I used vice grips as well to compress the bushings. The slop on the rack
was greatly reduced. I think that if I purchase one more pair of very small
bent-nose vice grips (giving me a total of two pair) I will be able to compress
the bushings enough to eliminate all the play.

Of course, this may not the way to fix the problem, perhaps someone who
already has the Bentley can read us the correct procedure. I can't
imagine a factory manual recommending vice-grips for something like
this.

Steve
'74 TR6

don.guthrie@xtra.co.nz