Re: TR6 Diff mounts - polyurethane/nylatron?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Diff mounts - polyurethane/nylatron?
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 21:40:26 1997
I seem to remember a time when mis-information on the web was followed
by "flames" to the poster...  this seemed rather rude, but likely
not as bad as the gross posting of lack-of-information.

If you don't KNOW the answer, don't post.

>just my .02 worth

>my local lbc mechanic (how many TR6's does this guy own/race?)

I don't mean to be harsh, but after replacing 7 sets of diff mounts,
re-welding 2 sets of mountings with TRF braces and studying the
torque motions caused by the rotation forces, I'd suggest that any
movement in the mountings causes impact forces...  resulting in fractured
mounts and rapid wear in the U-joints and slip joints surrounding the "moving"
differential and contributing to the breaking of internal gears, etc.

If the rubber mounts are NEW, I would expect excellent noise isolation,
while providing a solid mount and account for manf. tolerances.

Only catch, the rubber degrades rapidly and you soon develop movement
in the mounts which results in fractures, etc.  My "fixes" from 2 years
ago are already showing "movement" again...

The poly likely transmits more vibration to the body, but it doesn't
degrade like rubber, so its a permanant fix.  I haven't noticed ANY
difference in the noise level (did my current TR6 last weekend).

If poly was available in 1970, Triumph would have certainly used it to
mount the diff and TRF wouldn't be selling braket repair kits...  Course
TRF is selling the rubber mount kit as well...  talk about a win/win.
Likely your local lbc mechanic is thinking the same way, if you fix
all the problems, he is out of a job.

Call BPNW, install it, be done with that problem forever!

Anyone EVER had a NEGATIVE experience with poly diff mounts?

I rest my case.

Roger