Re: exhaust for '65 spit

To: Marcus Tooze <mtooze@tan.unl.edu>
Subject: Re: exhaust for '65 spit
From: Ed Burger <eburger@sagelink.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 19:58:27 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
> > Does a 1965 Spit legally need a muffler?  I was thinking of mabyr just
>
> No. It's the noise level that counts. If you manage to find a way to reduce
>the noise level to below the legal minimum (whatever that is in your
>county/city)
> w/out using a muffler I believe you are free to do so.

Emissions don't come into play at all?

> I recommend trying it with the straight pipe, if it's too noisy,
> go to a muffler shop and have them weld on a simple straight thru glass pack

A glass pack is one of those rather skimpy mufflers that shouldn't be
calledf a muffler at all, right?  I always get it and a cherry bomb
confused.  One makes an awfull noise and the others a skimpy muffler....

Anyhow, can i just run a straight pipe down the center?  Will it clear?
As is, the car had NO exhaust at all.  Just kinda ends at the headers.
Is it an OK idea to put a Y into it for dual exhaust?  Would there be
much gain considering the size of the engine?

Also, do I have to use any special kind of pipe?  I was just going to use
fence pipe from around my dad's work (he works at a fence place).  Would
this be OK?

Thanks,
Ed.