Quality of Posts lately

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Quality of Posts lately
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 20:16:28 -0600
Cc: TonyR@dzn.com
Hi everyone.  Dave Terrick here.  Yes,  I suspect at lease ONE person out
there figures I'm a buttinski.   (and likely more of you after I'm through
here).

I enjoy this list (note the positive tone some of you!) because it allows
me to keep in touch with many sources of information all around the globe
without belonging to eighteen clubs...bla bla bla.  I would much rather
hear about the guy who had a problem with supplier X ,  what he did to
solve the problem,  and how we the other lbc guys could avoid a similar
problem in the future.  That,  my friends, would be positive commentary and
of value to us and to the suppliers.

[A short aside for those of you who haven't hit <del> yet.  My favorite
supplier does happen to be TRF,  oddly enough on the basis of service.
Comparison shopping often reveals on a" basket of bits",  price variation
is less than five percent either way.  Find the people that want your
business, and then support them!  Tell us about them.  Save the poison for
when the owner of the shoddy service company, in reply to your complaint,
tells you to P off,  and  then tell him that you will tell us.  Send him a
copy of your email and make sure you can back up your libelous remarks.]  I
am now dealing with my local guy in Winnipeg, Classic Motor Works,  who now
deals on the basis of prompt, knowledgable service, rather than absolute
price.  HE is the one who will measure my bushing and X reference it to a
1953 Hupmobile.  Hell, I've often told HIM a thing or two from my own
research in my many old TR factory parts catalogers.  Just see what
offering your supplier a valuable inventory rationalization tip will do for
your relationship with him (pc: or her).

Now, on the subject of flaming each other (never mind the retailers)  and
repetition on the list.

A small bit of common sense might be a good thing.  I'll even listen to my
own advice.  If someone asks a general question,  why not wait for a day
and read the other posts that have come in.  I get the digest all at once
and it is amazing how much repetition there is.  We all think we are the
only holders of said information.  Sometimes we really are,  but It DOES
take time to sift through...  Especially with  the post being sent back as
a "reply with the same subject heading" rather than a new post.

PERHAPS EVERYONE WITH A QUESTION THAT MIGHT ELICIT MANY REPLIES COULD ASK
FOR A DIRECT RESPONSE TO THEIR OWN MAIL AND THEN SEND A SUMMARY TO THE
DIGEST AFTERWARD.  If we (myself included)  take a bit more care in posting
and replying,  we could have a much more valuable service.

I do enjoy reading about weird and controversial subjects like temperature
compensators (or anything GT6 for that matter) but when it comes to camber
compensators (weird) or headers(controversial),  I'd like to hear an
individual's SUMMARY of points based on personal experience or reputable
publication that we may not have seen before.

For example,  the place to discuss the finer points of  a chassis setup
might be an SCCA page. I'm sure autox has something to do with autocross,
but  there's a guy named Dean Johnson (G production national champ) with an
1147cc mkIII spit that goes faster than most 1600 cc formula Fords at
Brainerd International Raceway.  He won't tell me his secret either.
Emission controls....  well we're not SUPPOSED to touch them but someone
who has exposed a problem,  diagnosed it,  and cured it can be a help to us
all.  Seems to me there's a guy named Rechenberger who wrote a manual
called  "Six Tech".  That was the days before the net, and I've only seen
one copy once,  but I remember it as being a tome of tidbits  - no politics
involved.

That's about that,  and the last time I'll say anything on the subject.
Please mail me directly with comments if you please.  I'll let the list
know of the results in my mailbox in summary form.  I hope I can send a
positive message rather than a final sign off.  I think this list is too
valuable to waste on wars.

Think 60's.  Peace, man.

Dave Terrick