Re: TR3B

To: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: TR3B
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 22:35:25 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, TRIPHSTEVE@aol.com
On Wed, 12 Feb 1997, Henry Frye wrote:

> The Commission Number reads TCF1927L
> The Body tag reads          2459/TSF  (Yes, thats TSF)
> The Engine Number is        TCF1869E               ^
>
> Question # 1
>
> Did any body tags ever read XXXX/TCF?  I know they made some 330 TSF
> series cars before and during the TCF series run.  Does anybody ou there
> with a TCF series '3B happen to know what their body tag reads?

My data points: TCF1564L, engine TCF1621E, body 2082/TSF. My educated
guess is that body numbering never changed, and that TSF continued the TS
series with the F standing for body assemblers Forward Radiator, and that
the later C instead of F was a notation of the more TR4ish engine
specification.

> And, Question # 2
>
> I expected the engine number to be slightly _higher_ than the Commission
> number, not lower.  What do you think my chances are this is the
> original engine?  Slim to none?  If it is not the original engine, I
> can't believe a DPO found a TCF series motor, especially one only 58
> numbers away from the Commission number.
>
> Yes, I am going to get the British Heritage Trust certificate but as you
> can imagine, I am quite anxious about this info.

I'd say your chances are slim to excellent that all is original. ;-) Who
knows with these strange beasts, supposedly built to appease those of us
in North America who supposedly couldn't stomach a sports car with
roll-up windows?

> Now my problem is whether to keep plugging along on the TR250's, or dive
> into this one...If I devoted my time on the '3B it would be done before
> either of the rusty 250's...Hummmm

My advice: DIVE! :-)

> Henry "getting a more respectible sig line, but stopping short of
> reaching Andy Mace status of barns full of Triumphs" Frye

Oh, gee, c'mon now, just because the main barn has 12 cars in and about
five behind, the garage two, mom's garage one, mom's side yard two....

--Andy