Re: Bodge of the Month - February

To: Adam Turner <turner@public.se>
Subject: Re: Bodge of the Month - February
From: Jamie Palmer <jamiep@cris.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 11:08:34 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Adam Turner wrote:

> 1) As part of the frame-off restoration of my '74 TR6, I'm doing a
> suspension rebuild. Dismantling a rear trailing arm, I noticed that on
> one side, someone has replaced the standard bump stop with what looks
> like part of a hockey puck glued onto one of those screw-in mountings
> for furniture casters. Not only that, but because the new mount didn't
> fit the old hole, they'd bored a new, much bigger, hole at a 15 degree
> slant to the original. Does this win the "Bodge of the Month" for
> February?

I don't know, you haven't been looking at the same Spitfire wiring
harness that the PO (he did some things right, so he's not a DPO yet)
spliced in household electrical cord to...

> What I want to know is, is there some way of repairing the alloy of the
> trailing arm and setting a new bore, or have I got to find a new,
> hideously expensive, rear trailing arm?

Trailing arms are aluminum...a GOOD welder should be able to repair it
for you, although I'm not sure about how weakened the piece would be.
Any metallurgists out there?

> 2) The top part of my dashboard support bracket is also broken. This
> part (821551) is humungously expensive. If I can get it repaired, a
> re-trim kit won't cost much. Is there a method of repairing the soft
> metal of this part or is it cream-crackered?

Again, casting is aluminum, and this should be able to be repaired by
any decent welder.  Since this is a non-critical piece, I'd certainly
recommend welding it up.

Hope this helps a little...

Jamie Palmer
TCOC Publications Editor