Re: TRF stainless sport system

To: ingate@shiseis.com
Subject: Re: TRF stainless sport system
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 21:30:48 EST
Cc: andertonm@juno.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 20 Feb 97 09:23:10 PST ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
writes:
>Mark,
>       A while ago you said that you were fitting a set of
>TRF stainless sport system to your '72 TR6.  What does it
>sound like?  How does it compare with what you had before?
>       It's getting close to time for me to replace the
>system on mine, and I dont want to go the Monza route
>because others complain that they are too noisy.  However
>I do want that "big" 6 sound!
>       Shane Ingate in San Diego

I wish I could answer your question, but while reassembling the car, I
decided the paint was too shabby to live, so I am in the process of
chemical stripping the car.  I suspected there was corruption in hidden
places, so I removed the fenders and, sure enough, I found rust galore.
The worst spots were in places where the manufacturer had taken paind to
prevent it.  They used a putty substance to seal gaps and holes and this
stuff had turned to concrete.  It pried away with help from a screwdriver
and under it was the worst corrosion I've found.  The worst spot is the
back of the front fenders;  the cowl drains in there through a rubber
hose and just dumps onto the top of the sills.  There is sufficient gap
around panels that dirt from the front wheels collects in there and
retains the moisture, eating away at your precious British steel.  I am
using a combination of Makita grinder with knotted cup brush, sanding
disks, sandblasting, and POR-15 to make me feel comfortable putting the
fenders back on.  None of this had anything to do with your question, but
I got started and couldn't stop.

Mark Anderton