Chain Tensioners

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (Triumphs)
Subject: Chain Tensioners
From: TWALLI@vanheusen.com (Walling, Tom)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 19:33:56 -0700
I've noticed a small string (a stringlette?) about timing chain tensioners.
 Just a suggestion, but the ones that are currently available don't seem to
last very long.  I think that's because they are not properly hardened.
 They seem to have a "black oxide" coating.  The (probably) original one I
took out of my TR3 many years ago was chrome plated and hardly worn at all.
 The engine, however, had many hard miles on it and the tensioner was about
the only thing that didn't show signs of wear.  Just my opinion, but it may
be worth having the new ones plated with "industrial chrome" (different than
the "show chrome" you would like to have on your bumpers :-)).  I've seen a
broken tensioner that penetrated the timing chain cover when it let go (and
that was in Ashville NC during the VTR Convention -- a long way from home
for the owner).  An ounce of prevention...