Re: Spitfire Under-Rider Swap

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Under-Rider Swap
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 06:43:55 -0800
Barry Adams writes:
    <  snip  >
> Is it possible, without major modification to the frame, panels etc., to
> replace my rubber under-riders with the MK3 chrome ones?  If not, are there
> other options?
The MK III overriders will not fit, mounting and profile are entirely
different, as well as MKI and MKII.  The only real option is to use the
black polycarbonate (not rubber) from a MK 4, (71-72 and possibly 73, 71-73
GT6's use the same).  However I doubt if the mounting is the same.  To see
if it is look at your bumper specifically at the flange facing the floor.
Look at the area where the underriders would attach.  There should be two
tapped holes/nuts on special brackets on either side for the flanges on the
underriders.  Also there is a tapped hole/nut on a little flange attached to
the bottom of and about 1 inch up from the front crossmember on the pivot
support bracket ( part that is welded to the frame ) that secures the bottom
of the underrider.  If you have these you can probably use the early plastic
ones.  That's really your only option.  VB's catalog is incorrect, and if
their listing is actually for the early part then it is only correct for
71-73  The actual picture is for a MK 4 and the inserts are for the later
rubber style 1500 snubber's and you can clearly see the different mounting
configuration.  All this will gain you is probably an inch or so at most -

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)