Re: Double Diamond!!!? AAAAAARGHH! TRF Reply

To: TRFmail@aol.com
Subject: Re: Double Diamond!!!? AAAAAARGHH! TRF Reply
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 07:59:33 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.14673.emout11.mail.aol.com.859951065

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997 TRFmail@aol.com wrote:

> TRF's Reply to the Double Diamond talk. (See attached file)

        Thanks Charles,

        As a dedicated cider fanatic I am always glad when I can find some
        here in Central Illinois... There is only one "local" here about
        that sells cider on draft... Blackthorn. I have been able to get
        Woodpecker on a rather regular basis, But I find it a tad too sweet
        and, in the bottle, not nearly as good as on tap. Last week I
        stumbled on a couple of bottles of Aces pear cider (a domestic
        product). It was as good as the "peary" that I had at the Ship Inn
        in Milford NJ (anyone who's in to things British has GOT to go
        there) Getting any cider out here is a chore but we cider lovers
        can take heart... It's becomming "trendy". This may mean that
        more will be imported and will be available...

        Greg "Another tot for the Shantyman" Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.14673.emout11.mail.aol.com.859951065

                                    The Roadster Factory
                                    March 31, 1997
=0D
Dear Triumph List,
=0D
      I've noticed your comments about English beer and cider. Having tra=
velled a number of times
in England, I've drunk most of the ones you mention.
=0D
      There are many small breweries in England, many of which distribute=
 to a very local area. =

And we thought we had invented microbrews.  Some national brands, such as=
 Younger's Tartan, are
thought to be better in some areas than in others.  Big breweries buy lit=
tle breweries there as they do
here, and sometimes they let the local character alone and still distribu=
te the beer strictly in the local
area.  One of my favourites is Flowers, now owned by Whitbread.  It is ma=
de in the Stratford area,
and it has a picture of Shakespeare on the can.  One pub in Stratford has=
 four kinds of Flowers beer
on tap.  I can't remember all the names, but they include Flowers Traditi=
onal, Flowers Strong Bitter,
Flowers I.P.A., etc.  One is a gassy modern brew, and the traditional is =
a flatter traditional English
ale. I.P.A. means India Pale Ale, and I understand it is what was shipped=
 to the soldiers stationed in
India.  The commonly drunk ale in England is called bitter, not bitters, =
and one normally orders a pint
of bitter or a pint of lager.  Bitter is warm, and lager is cold.
=0D
      Then there are the draught ciders which most pubs have.
Strongbow, Woodpecker, Blackthorn, etc.  I've never had scrumpy cider whi=
ch has been described
to me as being very strong and nasty.  The draught cider I've seen in pub=
s is very clear and almost
gassy.  Draught cider is unavailable here in Pennsylvania, where alcoholi=
c cider is treated like wine
and only sold in bottles at State Liquor Stores.
=0D
      Draught English ales are not common in Pennsylvania.  It appears th=
at they do not generally
"meet our standards" and can't be easily imported.  We did have a connect=
ion with John Courage in
1995 when they donated six kegs of beer to our Summer Party, but now thei=
r telephone doesn't
answer any more.  At The Coventry Inn, we currently stock Bass Ale on dra=
ught, along with Harp
Lager, and Guinness Stout.  We sell our beer in English pint mugs and hal=
f pint mugs which are
twenty and ten U.S. ounces respectively.  Black and tans and 50/50's are =
both popular.  These are
half Guinness and half Bass or half Guinness and half Harp respectively. =
 We also stock a local
microbrew on tap and one light beer.  In addition, we have a large select=
ion of bottles including
microbrews.
=0D
      If you get a chance, stop at The Roadster Factory and The Coventry =
Inn on your travels if any
in or around Western Pennsylvania.  About fifty miles east of Pittsburgh.=
  Both businesses are
everything I've promised them to be.  We have good products, and we treat=
 our customers right.
=0D
      That's all for tonight...
=0D
                                    Regards,
=0D
                                    Charles

--PART.BOUNDARY.0.14673.emout11.mail.aol.com.859951065--