Re: TR-3 and TR-6 seats <199704020108.TAA15682@ins1.netins.n

To: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Subject: Re: TR-3 and TR-6 seats <199704020108.TAA15682@ins1.netins.net>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 09:33:01 PST
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>Gary Nafziger said:
 > Has anyone re-done seats on their own with the kits from TRF or Moss?  Is
 > this something within the skills of an average joe?

I used the TRF seat cover and foam kit on Sybil, my TR-6.  I have a '72, with
perhaps the most complicated upholstery process of all TR-6s.

It can be done by a good tinkerer,
but be careful to do only one seat at a a time so you can use the other as
reference.  The drawings in the TRF parts book help too.

Be sure to do any seat frame repairs while it's apart.  I had to replace three
of the seatback side springs, several of the back straps, the diaphragms and
have a break welded.

You'll need hogring pliers and a bunch of rings.  I got the cheap upholstery
kit from my FLAPS[1] and it was almost completely useless, so I went to to a
*real* hardware store and got *real* hogring pliers, designed for putting ring
s in hogs.  THat was worth every penny in lost aggravation.

When you cover the sides of the seat abck, be SURE to draw the cover UP far
enough.  No, that's not good enough--FARTHER.  I wound up with gaps at the base
of the headrest that noone ever notices unless I point them out, but still...

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center