Re: TR6 Ignition Coil

To: Brian Day <1briand@mail.airmail.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Ignition Coil
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 17:25:44 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Brian Day wrote:

> This week I purchased a Lucas "Sport" Coil from TRF for installation in my
> '73 TR6.  I was concerned about the application as from '73 on, the TR6 had
> a ballasted system.  Level 2 sales at TRF assured me that there was no
> problem.  I was unable to get through to TRF technical assistance to confirm
> this, but did talk to Moss customer service who also confirmed that there
> was no problem using this coil in a later TR6.  When I received the coil
> yesterday, I noticed that it clearly states on the side of the coil "for use
> in non-ballasted systems only."
>
> Has anybody had any luck using this coil on a ballasted TR6?  Despite the
> assurances I got from both TRF and Moss, I am concerned.

Brian,

If you install the Lucas Sport Coil, you'll need to bypass the ballast
resistor that's part of your OEM harness. The Lucas Sport is internally
ballasted and, if you leave the external ballast in circuit, the new coil
will be operating at less than the 12v. for which it was designed. That
will negate any benefit of installing a higher performance coil. It'll
work, just not as well as it should.

On Spitfires the ballast resistor is a pink/white wire, wrapped in the
harness running down the drivers side of the engine bay. The two ends of
the 30" (approx.) wire are exposed for testing, bypassing, or replacement
if necessary. The ends should be crimped to a plain white or yellow/white
wire. Again, there will probably be a variation in the TR6 harness. Check
your car's schematic. (on Spits it's shown as a plain white wire--talk
about confusing!)

Charlie B.
Spitfire Pilot