SU Carb leak

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU Carb leak
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:03:13 -0700
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP8606006263alinkens@farnborough>
Can anyone shed any light on the following. - a quick response would be very
much appreciated.
There must be a leak from the carbs on my 2.5S but I'm having problems tracking
it down. About every few minutes there's a very, very strong smell of petrol in
the car - it seems worse when the car is idling - so bad that all the windows
have to be opened.
I've lifted the bonnet and the smell was really strong in the engine bay. All
the fuel lines were OK and when I removed the air filter the smell was very
strong around the rear carb. Expecting to see neat fuel trickling out of the
air intake I waited in vain! Nothing! The smell was still very strong
especially if I pulled the choke out for a few seconds. No sign of any leaks
out of the float chamber so I had a quick look inside. Help! It all looks fine
but...
How can you tell if the level is too high in the float chamber on an SU?
How can you tell if the pin is worn, float is leaking, needle valve is not
operating OK?
Could this problem be related to the jet setting ie way too rich a mixture?
Is there any other possible cause?

Finally, an unrelated question. Pinking seems to be a problem on both my
Triumphs these days. Changing the timing helps but is there also any additive
for the petrol that could reduce this problem?

thanks
Andy
2.5S Estate
Vitesse