Re: Clutch Problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch Problems
From: Scott Paisley <scotty@csn.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 08:02:25 -0600
Paul Gilders wrote:

> I have been experiencing problems with my TR6 clutch for quite a while
> now. The symptoms are that the clutch does not release smoothly -
> mainly when the car is warm.

On the TR6 the release bearing stays against the clutch plate all
the time.  It's always spinning, which is one reason they are short
lived.

I sounds to me like you have a contaminated clutch disk.  If it has
ANY oil on it, it can get sticky on the flywheel, or pressure plate.
I imagine the problem doesn't show up till the clutch plate/flywheel
get's warm which would heat stuff up to be a bit more sticky.
(that's theory number 1)  But you wanted to leave the gear box
in the car.  Humm.  Hard to check that theory.

Other than that, I would try rebuilding your clutch hydrolics.
If you have a small leak (internal to the cylinder) on either the
master or the slave, the clutch will NOT release smoothly.  While
releasing the clutch pedal, should clutch fluid squeez by the seals,
your clutch will engage more quickly than you expected, making you
look like a fool.... This behavior could also happen only with a warm
car.

Let us know what you find...

-Scotty ('75TR6)