Top 10 list - TR6 tuning

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Top 10 list - TR6 tuning
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 20:10:37 -0400 (EDT)
        I thought that a collaborated list, which enumerates
reasons that would contribute to a poorly running TR6 (or other
Triumphs), would be benefical to most of us. Here' mine. It contains
some rather obvious entries. I'm assuming we can all learn from other's
mistakes. Please add your experience or correct my errors (my experience
 is only 1 year's worth)

        10. Brakes locked?
                Jack up car and ensure that all wheels rotate freely
        9. Both carbs functional
                Lift air valve at idle - motor should either die or
                increase RPM's. Adjust floats if no change.
        8. Both carbs synchronized
                Ensure that linkage between carbs are tight so that
                both throttle plates rotate when accelerator is
                depressed
        7. Spark plugs
                Make sure all plugs fire. Take one plug out at a time.
                Inspect against a chart like in the Haynes manual for
                obvious problems. With plug out and grounded, turn
                engine over and ensure a spark occurs.
        6. Spark plug connections.
                Make sure wires and plugs are connected correctly.
                One mistake means that at least two cylinders (25% of
                the engine) is misfiring.
        5. Compression
                Ensure all cylinders are within 15 PSI of each other
                and all are above 125. Consistant low means head and/or
                ring job. One, or a few, low ones means check the
                valve clearance.
        4. Valves.
                Check clearence. Loose valves will contribute to bad
                compression.
        3. Cap, rotor, points, condensor.
                Check cap for cracks. If you don't know or can't
                remember when they were replaced, put in new ones. It
                just isn't worth worrying about them.
        2. Alternator, battery
                Check that the batery wires are tight and that
                the ammeter is pretty much in the middle
        1. Timing BTDC
                I don't care what the manual says. Dynamically tune
                for at least 10 degrees before TDC.

        I'm sure that there's alot more so that this list can be enriched.

                        Jeff Nathanson
                        '72 TR6