Re: Switching Tags (was Re: Carlisle; now longish reply)

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Switching Tags (was Re: Carlisle; now longish reply)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 16:37:43 +0600 (EDT)
On Mon, 14 Apr 1997, Ken Streeter wrote:

> fred thomas wrote:
>
> >     Ed, ... Take your own tags from home ...
>
> Wait!  Hold the farm!  Do NOT pass go, do not collect
> $200, go directly to jail.
>
> Do NOT switch tags from one car to another.  This is
> a VERY BAD idea.  Switching tags from one vehicle to
> another is a *criminal* offense, not just a civil
> violation.  Been there, done that, didn't get a
> T-shirt.
>
> If you want the whole story, read on...

[which I did, but then deleted, since the rest of you must have read it as
well!]

There are circumstances where "taking your own tags from home" might be
permissible. Under certain clauses of "Historical" registrations of motor
vehicles in New York State, one may use such "Historical" license plates
for purposes of test driving and/or transporting vehicles that would also
qualify for such plates. I quote from New York State's Vehicle & Traffic
Code:

  § 401. Registration   of   motor   vehicles;   fees;   renewals...

  7.  Registration  fees  for  auto trucks, tractors, buses, taxicabs,
livery and certain other motor vehicles...

  G.  Schedule  for  historical motor vehicles. For each motor vehicle
which is owned and operated as an exhibition piece or collectors item,
and is used for participation  in  club  activities,  exhibit,  tours,
parades,  occasional transportation and similar uses, but not used for
general daily transportation, an annual fee of  twenty-three  dollars.
For  purposes of this paragraph, a historical motor vehicle shall mean
any vehicle manufactured more than  twenty-five  years  prior  to  the
current  calendar  year,  and  any  other model, year and type vehicle
which has unique  characteristics  and  which  is  determined  by  the
commissioner  to  be  of  historical,  classic  or  exhibition  value.
Registration plates for such vehicles shall be of a  type  and  design
approved  by  the  commissioner, but shall be of a distinctive nature.
Except that, with the approval of the commissioner, an  owner  of  any
such  vehicle  may  utilize  registration  plates  issued  in the year
corresponding to  the  model  year  date  in  which  the  vehicle  was
manufactured,  if  the  registration plate is legible and serviceable,
and of this state, as determined by the department.

[NOTE PARTICULARLY THIS PART:]
                                                    Such plates  shall
be  used  only  for  the  operation of the motor vehicle listed on the
registration application and  on  other  motor  vehicles  which  would
qualify  for  registration  under this schedule owned by persons other
than the registrant for the purpose of test driving by the  registrant
or   his  agent  in  anticipation  of  possible  purchase.    No  such
registration will be issued unless evidence of financial security,  in
a  form  prescribed  by  the commissioner, is submitted which provides
coverage for the motor vehicle listed on the registration  application
and for non-owned motor vehicles being operated with such plates.

Of course, one doing this with a New York historical registration might
find him or herself in a bit of a "gray" area legally while trying to
explain how the "test drive" has taken him/her from Carlisle, PA, to (for
example) Albany, NY. However, it does provide one with a possibility. And
NO, I don't advocate this, and NO, I don't know if similar laws apply for
other states' "historical" or "collector" tags and insurance requirements.

The above is strictly FYI. YMMV, AM & FM, etc. ;-)

--Andy