'57 TR3 value?

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '57 TR3 value?
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 19:10:15 -0400 (EDT)
Listers:

I hate to send this out, because there are several folks on the list who know
where I live, but here goes...

My bride and I are thinking of selling Martha to make room for the Healey
3000 we want to build, but I haven't really been following the discussions of
values, etc.  I'd appreciate some input from people who have been shopping,
selling or buying TR3s lately.

She's a '57 Smallmouth

2 owners since new... we bought her in 1990 from the original owner who had
her stored since '78.  Showing about 56,000 miles, which the original owner
swears is correct, except that 3,000 miles of it was under tow from
California to Florida many years ago.

Color is as close to the original "Winchester Blue" as we could get by
matching old paint.  According to the build records, that's the correct
color.

Engine runs strong, good oil pressure and no smoke.

Overdrive transmission has been electrically disconnected since before I got
her and I don't know whether it works or not.  Someday I'll find out.

After we got her, we had her stripped and painted at a local shop... I was
out of town for much of the time but they said there was no bondo anywhere on
her.  Also no rust, dents, dings, etc.  Frame is straight and clean.
 According to the DPO's Husband (yes, the DPO was a woman who bought it new
right out of college), she hit something in the front once (a long time ago)
and the front cowl was replaced with a new one.

Most of the chrome trim has been replaced, new carpet installed and other
minor touchup work has been done.  The original leather seats are still in
her and need to be recovered (in my opinion... my bride refuses to allow it).

She's got a relatively new Robbins top, boot stick cover and tonneau.  The
side curtains are original and in good usable condition.

She's got decent 48 spoke wire wheels and we have the original Dunlop spare
tire (whitewall).

She took second in Concours at the Savannah VTR nationals in 1992, first in
Participant's Choice at Asheville in '94.  To be competitive in concours
again she'll probably need another repaint since she's got some "wrinkles" in
a few places in the paint (how many 40 women don't have a few wrinkles?) plus
a chip where my grandson hit her with a wrench

Based on all this, what do we think she's worth, not including any
sentimental value that's probably important to us but not to anyone else?

Thanks...
Don Marshall
'57 TR3   '63 TR3B   '63 TR4   '63 Healey 3000