Re: Tranny Oils GL5 vs GL4

To: Barry Schwartz <Bschwartz@encad.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny Oils GL5 vs GL4
From: bill nichol <bnicho19@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:46:05 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Barry Schwartz wrote:

> With all the controversy about the newer GL5 oils causing problems with
> brass, I just can't buy it.  (donning flame retardant suit)  I just finished
> completely rebuilding a world class Borg Warner T5 - 5 speed that will be
> going into the V6 Spitfire to replace the aging T4 - 4 speed.  The T5 has
> carbon fiber synchros on 1 thru 4 gears, but guess what.  Number 5 is
> regular old brass, same as used in the old Triumph boxes.  I seriously doubt
> that GL5 would be recommend for use in these transmissions if there was a
> problem with compatibility.  As for copper as used in the rear end thrust
> washers I can't say (still doubtfull) and as for overdrives I suspect it's
> that the new GL5 and synthetic oils are TOO slippery for proper operation,
> not that they will degrade materials used in these transmission/rear ends.
> Just my own personal observations lead me to believe that if there was any
> danger, the manufacturer would place a warning on the bottle stating these
> oils may cause material failure in older transmissions requiring GL4, or
> transmissions with brass, or copper components.  There is a liability
> question that most manufacturers, I would think, would not want to tackle -
> for me, I'll utilize the advantages of the newer oils.
>
> Barry Schwartz
> Bschwartz@encad.com  (San Diego)
> 72-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
> 70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
> 70 Spitfire (body repair almost done)

Barry,
        Way to go. My feelings exactly. The ODs do require a limited amount of
friction to operate and the synthetic and teflon addtive oils don't
provide it. As to GL-5 corroding brass and copper parts. I feel it's
akin to red dye #2 causing cancer, yes in about a million years.

Bill
78Spit 120Kmiles plus still going strong
80Wedge under going colonial conversion