Spitfire Head Gasket

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Head Gasket
From: Dee Jackson <dee_jackson@gilbarco.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 09:33:15 -0400
On Wed, 23 Apr 97 at 13:18:15 PAUL LOGUE wrote:

> I am getting ready to reinstall the head on my 77 Spit engine.  The gasket
> which I received from Victoria is the right size, but the quality is different
> then the one I took off.  The one I took off seems more "sturdy", although the
> head did leak oil slightly at the rear.
> I would appreciate input on this, because I am anxious to get this engine back
> together.
> Also, I plan to use the Permetex Spray sealer from Locktite on the gasket??

In an effort to cure the seepage at the rear of the head, I did the same
thing for the first time earlier this year.  I got the complete gasket
set thru TRF.  The new head gasket had a somewhat tacky, rubbery feel to
it on both sides.  The old one seemed to be of a more fibrous, sturdy
material.  Figuring that if "the Guv" would use it, so would I, I put
the new gasket on the car.
I found conflicting opinions on whether to dress the gasket or not.
Recommendations ranged from From hi-tack copper spray on both sides of
the gasket, to nothing at all.  On advice from John Kipping's catalog, I
put a very small amount of Hylomar on the gasket around the oil passage
port from the block to the head, only.  (This catalog is a great read,
BTW.)
So far-no leaks there, but the built-in rust-prevention system has tried
to maintain equilibrium by beginning to seep slightly at the oil filler
cap.  Go figure.

D. Jackson
Asheboro, NC
'78 Spit FM90204UO