Re: Lift Throttle Backfiring

To: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>, "Triumph GroupReturn requested" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Lift Throttle Backfiring
From: "Daniel Julien" <djulien@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 20:50:38 -0500
My '69 Datsun 1600 (OK, but I sold it 23 years ago and replaced it with my
first LBC) used to do exactly the same thing. It had Hitachi carbs which
were actually very close copies of SUs. It never bothered me much, either.
I always assumed that this condition was caused by the carbs not responding
adequately to the vacuum conditions of deceleration and supplying too rich
a mixture, leaving unburned fuel. A check of my Haynes Zenith-Stromberg
manual, however, indicates the opposite - it is caused by too LEAN a
mixture, which burns more slowly, and is still burning when the exhaust
valve opens. It goes on to say that the Z-S carb performs well in this
situation because reduced mass (of the piston) and reduced friction allow
it to respond immediately when the throttle is closed. So is this an SU
thing? Any of you more knowledgeable folks out there able to shed more
light?

Dan Julien
'72 TR6 78709U (undergoing body transplant)
Austin, Texas
djulien@mail.utexas.edu