Re: thank you

To: ebk@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: thank you
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 22:19:42 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: streeter@sanders.com, cak@dimebank.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
In a message dated 97-04-30 11:15:21 EDT, ebk@buffnet.net (Kramer) writes:

>  THANK YOU very much for all the info. & returning a response to me. Im
>  sorry if I have been a bother to you, PLEASE forgive me.

No forgiveness necessary.  This is what the list is for.  If we didn't want
to do this we would not have answered your questions.  BUT -you're welcome!

>  Im just learning
>  about the inter net & e-mail. I have been having trouble in sending e-mail

>  (broken pipe-conection made but not successful) types of messages.
>       Im the one asking all the questions about UNDERCOATING. I agree with
>  many of your opinions on condor judging. Ive just joined a local car
>  club(not a Triumph club because there isnt one within 90 mi.). I know of
>  only a handful of the members that were ever in a condor judging & they
>  gave me the impression that there are no set rules or VERY few guide
lines.

Not exactly true.  Each class of cars has a detailed list of original
equipment/ accessories etc. This list is then used by the concours judges to
evaluate the cars.  The problem, as with any human endeavor, is to obtain the
correct information in the first place.  The list against which the cars are
judged is only as good as the information which was used to compile the list.
 [Of course, there is always the problem with those people who will agree on
nothing that does not fit into THEIR preconceived, and maybe factually wrong,
notions of what is original.  But that is their problem.]

>  The one bit of info I did receive was-Keep it original!!! Well that is
hard
>  when rubber items are rotted,or a rusted nut & bolt is stripped or breaks.

>  So, I do the best that I can.

The best is all we can do.  But there really is no problem with replacements
for normal wear and tear.  Just try to get a replacement which is as close to
what was originally there as you can.  That is why we have places which cater
to Triumph owners by building or buying parts (for re-sale) which are
manufactured to the original specs.  The judges are looking for how close the
car is to what it was as it left the factory or dealer's showroom.  Remember
that these cars are old, but how well you do in finding correctly configured
parts says a lot about how much you care and how much the judge is going to
dock you.
 (An example of a wrong replacement would be putting a 1990's toggle switch
in the dash in place of a round pull-out switch which was broken.  Obviously,
the toggle switch be "out of place" and would change the ambience of the
dashboard and cockpit - and if the correctly configured switch were readily
available, it says that you didn't care enough to: a) find out where to get
it OR b) go to the trouble of getting it).

>  Thank You Again - Cosmo

You're welcome.  :-)   As I said - it all boils down to what your goal is
with your car and and how much time, energy, money and effort you want to
spend to acheive that goal.  Some folks, for example, modify their cars from
"concours" in order to race them - that's what those folks want.  Other folks
spend thousands of dollars to acheive "concours quality" and never drive or
use the cars.  That turns them on.  And some want a period car which is close
( a relative term) to what it was when new but which can be used for driving.
 Believe - me many hours and beers have been spent discussing these issues.
 My Humble Opinion.  :-).

Art Kelly