Problems bleeding Spitfire brakes

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Problems bleeding Spitfire brakes
From: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 16:33:10 -0100
After a long, enjoyable time lurking here, I'm finally coming out: I've got
a problem....

I'm sure it's been around the list before, as I seem to recall it being
discussed about a year ago. However, I didn't pay attention then :-(

My father and I have just finished overhauling my '77 Spitfire's brake
system: new rear cylinders, new seals in front cylinders, new front pads,
new seals in master cylinder, new hoses, new front-to-back brake pipes.
Now the system won't bleed properly and the pedal remains soft. We keep
getting tiny bubbles and foam, even after we've pumped three litres of fluid
through the system. We primed and bench-bled the master cylinder and bleed
by the book: nipple open - pump in - nipple closed - pump out. I can see
there's foam coming out as I use a length of silicone tube in a jam jar.

Additional info:

 * standard double brake system
 * small brake reservoir
 * no visible/noticeable leaks
 * handbrake off while bleeding
 * DOT 3 brake fluid

We're getting kinda desperate, as it's been three bleedin' days now and I'm
getting married next Tuesday... :-)

Any ideas *very much* appreciated!

Eric Kieboom
The Netherlands