Re: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings

To: Don Haw <don@ngs.noaa.gov>
Subject: Re: 76 Spitfire - Wheel Bearings
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 16:25:30 +0600 (EDT)
Cc: TRIUMPHS <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Fri, 2 May 1997, Don Haw wrote:

> My question is, What tool do I use to get the hub off to get to the bearings?
> Then, How do I replace the wheel bearings?  What kind of grease, etc?

Don, the consensus of opinion is to remove the axle assembly complete
from the car, go to a reputable machine shop and let them get it apart for
you. However, from what you describe, it might not be worth the effort.
Once you hear that much noise, chances are the axle is already useless
(since it serves as the bearing race). Perhaps you'll be lucky, but be
prepared to start looking for a new axle! :-(

--Andy