Re: TR3 rear brake cylinders

Subject: Re: TR3 rear brake cylinders
From: "Nick" <Nickbk@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 18:34:29 -0700
Ken sez-

> When I took apart the two rear wheel brake cylinders (TR3A Ts57756), they
> appear different.  One is marked 3/4 and the other is 5/8.  The 5/8 has
> dialoy 4 cast into the side and the other has dialoy 3.  The 5/8 has a
> Girling #304000 cast into the opposite side.  the 3/4 has nothing on the
> opposite side.  One had a flat piston and the other had a slot cut into
the
> piston.  I Suppose bigger is better, but at least one of the rebuild kits
> is not going to be right.  Is there a good reason I should not change out
> the 5/8 for a new 3/4"?

Ken-
As I recall, wait ...what was I saying...oh yeah, wheel cylinders. The 3
should have used the same cyl (390400) pretty much throughout its lifetime.
In reality, I have seen some of the 9" rear cars with the same cylinder as
the TR4 (64674185 -5/8"). Basically, you definetly want the same size
cylinders left and right. If you have the 10" drums, go for the 3/4"
cylinder. If you have the later 9" setup, my OPINION, is to go for the 5/8"
cylinders.

Bigger=Better...maybe yes, maybe no.
With the two different cylinders on your car, you have the perfect test
bed. Go out to some deserted area with a good flat road, a subdivision
under construction would be perfect, so that you can lock up your brakes a
few times. (You don't want to do this in your neighborhood as old Mrs.
Frikker will call the cops before you get useful data). At about 20MPH or
so, slam on the brakes so that all wheels lock up. Now get out of the car
and go back and see which wheels locked up first. Measure your wheelbase so
you can tell if the back tires locked before after, or not at all, compared
to the fronts. (You DO NOT WANT THE REARS TO LOCK UP FIRST). If the rears
locked up first, use the 3/4" cylinders, if they all locked up about the
same time, again use the 3/4"'ers. If the rears never locked up, use the
5/8" cylinders.

Hardly able to maintain my own "balance"...
        Nick in Nor Cal