Hydraulic closure, Please!

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Hydraulic closure, Please!
From: "Jack I. Brooks" <brooks@belcotech.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 16:56:40 -0400
>The larger the cross sectional area (pressure being the same throughout the
>system), the greater the force, and consequently, the greater the braking
>power. I still say the larger cylinder will have the greater braking power.
>
>Dan Masters, standing by to eat crow if neccessary!

No crow today, Dan.  You are right.

I stayed out for a while, but......  This can't be any more straight forward.

1. You have the same pressure in each cylinder, therefore equal pounds per
square inch (psi), in each,

2. One cylinder has more area, therefore more square inches.

3. With more square inches to act on the pressure will yield more force,
because the pressure acts evenly on the whole surface, independant of size.

(pounds/square inches) X square inches = pounds force applied

For those familiar with dimensional analysis, the above cannot be disputed

assume 100 psi on two pistons 10 sq in and 50 sq in.

10 sq in piston  => 100 psi x 10 sq in = 1000 lbs force

50 sq in piston  => 100 psi x 50 sq in = 5000 lbs force

The larger piston will provide more force, assuming the pressure is the same.

Can we move on to magents you put on your fuel line to improve your gas
mileage or maybe "cats" again please?

Jack Brooks