Re: TR6 Commission # and Engine #

To: tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Commission # and Engine #
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 22:53:52 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-05-12 10:46:24 EDT, tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net
(Doug Mathews) writes:

> On the TR2,3,4 the engine number was ahead of the commission number. <

Not necessarily so.  My numbers ('64 TR4) were Comm# CT33118L, Engine #
CT33424E, and body # 33172/CT.  Engine number is 306 BEHIND the commission
number. (And the body number is also behind (54) the comm #.)   If I'm
correct, the chassis (I assume that the chassis was the basis for the comm# )
began down the production line until it met the body.  Then both proceeded
down the line and met the engine.

Seems to me that the company would have wanted a minimum number of components
sitting around.  So they would want engines arriving at the line as close as
possible to the TIME that they were needed.  But the engine division was also
working to a schedule.

And what about the engines used for other purposes (such as shipping overseas
for TR's to be assembled in Belgium or maybe engines destined to be used for
some other cars - like Morgan or ??) ?  Also - if quality control found a bad
engine what would happen to the original assigned engine number.

However, if you look at my car numbers a difference of 306 over 33 thousand
118 units is only 0.09%.  Is that a large discrenpancy or not - any
production experts out there?

Maybe someone can FACTUALLY explain the details.  I can only speculate.
 Cheers.

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner)