Diff Pinion gear

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Diff Pinion gear
From: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 97 10:07:27 -0400
Hey All,

        Well I almost ruined my diff this weekend, but luck seemed to be on my
side.

        Anyway I have a question.  I'm trying to replace the seals on the diff.

How does one go about pulling the pinion gear out to get to the seal?
Does the innards of the diff need to be removed.  The Bentley manual
makes it look like youshould be able to pull the pinion gear out the
front of the diff (i.e. I'm calling the 'front' the end that is points
towards the engine when the diff is installed).  There is a metal
lip/ring there that seems to be part of the diff casing.  Is this
correct?

        I don't want to remove the innards of the diff because I don't have the
correct tools, and I don't think I can reassemble it properly.  Please
tell be there is a way to do this.

Thanks,
JHD IV