FW: Re: Auto Cross Conversion

To: triumphs
Subject: FW: Re: Auto Cross Conversion
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 16:47:17 -0600 (MDT)
[BOUNCE triumphs@Autox.Team.Net:     global taboo body match
"/triumph.cs.utah.edu/i" at line 7]

     Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 13:30:01 -0500 (EST)
     From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
     Subject: Re: Auto Cross Conversion

Hi Bill,

Mark Bradakis has a neat article about converting his Spitfire to SCCA D
Street Prepared Class, that is where you are headed considering the mods
that youmention for your car.

See http://ftp.team.net/mjb/junior_details.html

Hi Mark!      [Any day now I'll fix the typos, etc. in that article so
               those who have asked can publish it in their various
               newsletters.  Yep, RealSoonNow.   mjb.]

As for safety equipment, I offer the following:

1. roll bar is not required for Street Prepared. It is recommended but
not required.

2. If you do not use a roll bar or cage, you cannot use shoulder
harnesses, e.g. no 4, 5 or 6 point restraint systems.

3. Helmets this year need to be Snell '85 or better. Most clubs have
loaners at events, but you should check with the local club before you
drive a long distance only to find no loaners are available. If you buy,
get the best you can afford, you'll likely use it for a while. Prices
range from under $100 for a cheap-o offshore model to $$$ as much as you
want to spend. If you have any plans for time-trials or the like, get an
SA rated helmet.

4. WRT 2, get a good lap belt as a bare minimum. You will drive a lot
better if your body stays put on the seat when you corner. The stock
belts don't help much in that regard, so you wind up "holding on" to the
steering wheel and other bad habits that will effect your ability to turn
quickly and smoothly. I put in hook-eyes and I got a 3-inch wide lap belt
that I can clip in and out...

If you have any autox questions, feel free to ask!

regards,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? Well, I have one that sort of runs!