Re: Unleaded fuel

To: "Jonathan Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Unleaded fuel
From: "Douglas Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 10:46:41 -0400 "Re: Unleaded fuel" (Jun 2, 3:32pm)
> Subject: Re: Unleaded fuel
>
> > I have a question about unleaded fuel.
> > >There seems to be some debate as to the negative effects of running
> > >unleaded fuel in my '75 Triumph Spitfire.
> > **************************************
> > Glen,
> > Your 75 _WAS_ designed to run on unleaded fuel - nothing to worry about.
> >

> > Barry Schwartz in San Diego,CA
> >
> > Bschwartz@encad.com
> > 72-V6 Spitfire ( 5 speed's mounted, working on tranny cover )
> > 70 GT6+ (daily driver for now)
> > 70 Spitfire (body repair on hold see above)
>
> That's interesting; was this  modification only for the American
> market do you know?
>
> Jonathan
>
> '77 Spitfire 1500
>

>-- End of excerpt from Jonathan Miles

Yes. By 1976, the great majority of new cars sold in North America were
equipped with catalytic converters. Cat-Cons require the use of unleaded
fuel to keep from destroying the catalyst. I thought that the Spit
didn't require unleaded until 1976, rather than '75. I could be (and
quite possibly am) wrong on this point.

I put an article in the SOL ftp archives last year, which talks about
the use of hardened valve seats in internal combustion engines. It is
located at:

ftp://www.team.net/sol/valves.txt

I have been running unleaded fuel in my '73 Spit for most of the
last 15 years. Running unleaded has not been a problem.

Doug Mitchell
dmitchel@ismi.net
dmitchel@ford.com